What’s your favorite type of donut?
Mine was always a Boston Cream Donut!
I haven’t had one in over 25 years so I thought it was time to make a guilt free recipe! It is mind-blowing!
Some people think you shouldn’t have keto desserts but for me, it helped me stay on my diet for over 25 years and lose 80 pounds!
Besides, my recipe is filled with protein and I don’t use nut flours!
HOW TO MAKE PROTEIN SPARING BOSTON CREAM DONUTS
Adding gelatin to these protein sparing donuts creates a perfect chewy texture in these keto donuts!
Further Food gelatin and collagen peptides are both excellent sources of collagen. Both their Collagen & Gelatin are sourced from the highest quality, grass-fed, pasture-raised, hormone-free, and antibiotic free bovine collagen.
The benefits of collagen and gelatin are astounding! Just eating my delicious Protein Sparing Bagels helps support skin elasticity & hydration, longer hair & nails, stronger bones & joints, faster recovery between workouts, increased flexibility, improved digestion, and it even keeps you feeling full and satiated for longer!
Further Food Collagen Peptides dissolve instantly in any recipe, and Gelatin Powder naturally thickens recipes. It’s perfect for making dairy free ice cream, jello, sugar free gummies, no bake cheesecake, or panna cotta!
Use code MARIAMINDBODY is for 20% off site-wide !
Protein Sparing Boston Cream Donuts
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with Primal Kitchen Avocado oil spray and set aside.
- Separate the eggs (save yolks for custard), and place the whites into a large bowl or stand mixer.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg white powder, allulose, Further Food gelatin, salt and cream of tartar. Add the dry ingredients to the egg whites and whip the whites for a few minutes until VERY stiff.
- Gently fold in the vanilla extract if using.
- Use a large 4.6 ounce ice cream scooper (click HERE to find)to place 6 mounds of the dough onto the baking sheet, just so the mounds touch each other. Or carefully place dough into a bagel or donut pan and shape into donut shape.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Turn oven off and leave donuts in the oven for 15 minutes to avoid the bread from falling.
- Let completely cool before filling with custard.
- To make the custard filing, whisk together the egg yolks, almond milk, and natural sweetener in medium metal bowl to blend. Slowly whisk in the melted butter so the eggs don’t cook unevenly.
- Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water.
- Whisk mixture constantly and vigorously until thickened and instant-read thermometer inserted into mixture registers 140°F for 3 minutes, about 5 minutes total (or coats the back of a spoon).
- Remove mixture from over water and chill for at least 1 hour in the fridge. (It can be prepared 1-3 days ahead and refrigerated. Re-whisk before serving.)
- Once cool, place into a small Ziplock. Cut a ¼ inch hole in the corner.
- Use a sharp knife to cut a small hole into each donut and use the Ziplock to fill each donut with custard.
- To make the easy chocolate glaze, chop the bars into small pieces and place in a microwavable bowl. Add the unsweetened almond milk. Heat in the microwave in 15 second increments. Stir well in-between each 15 seconds in the microwave. Heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Drizzle onto donuts and let rest on cooling rack until glaze has set.
- To make homemade Chocolate Glaze: Place the unsweetened almond milk into a sauce-pot over medium high heat, once simmering, remove from heat and add the chopped chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Add the natural sweetener and vanilla and stir to combine. Taste and adjust sweetness to your liking.
- Dip each donut into the chocolate glaze.
- Best served fresh. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days. Do not freeze the custard.
259 calories, 21g fat, 14g protein, 7g carbs, 5g fiber
P:E Raito 0.6
Nutrition (Homemade Chocolate option):
298 calories, 23g fat, 15g protein, 6g carbs, 3g fiber
P:E Raito 0.6
“Every morning when I get up I thank God for Maria and Craig Emmerich !
I will never be able to convey my thanks for showing me the way to lose weight. I tried every diet possible, I was in TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly)at the age of 12, I tried WW, and a few other well known diet programs. None of them ever worked long term. I’d lose a few pounds and gain it right back.
Wish I could send you a huge bouquet of flowers Maria, but once again I will just send you my thanks and deepest gratitude!
I don’t have many pictures of myself at 420+ pounds. So I have to go way back to find pictures to share. Hit 200 pounds this morning. I have to say it feels unbelievable!” – Felicia