Learn how to make crispy air fryer chicken wings in less than 10 minutes! A secret trick guarantees perfectly cooked wings every single time.
Using your air fryer to cook chicken is a game changer. Gone are the days of dry and rubbery chicken.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Works with fresh or frozen wings. While fresh wings are preferred, frozen wings can work!
- Ready in 10 minutes. With no need to marinate the chicken, these wings take less than 10 minutes to cook!
- Crispy outside, tender inside. The texture is everything you’d want with chicken wings. A secret ingredient guarantees crispy wings every single time.
What I love about these air fried wings is just how easy they are to customize. While delicious on their own, you can toss them through some bulgogi sauce, eel sauce, or even katsu sauce to change up the flavors.
This recipe calls for very basic pantry staples to put together. Here is what you’ll need:
- Chicken wings- Use a mix of wings and drumettes. While frozen chicken wings will work, fresh is always better and guarantees the crispy exterior.
- Olive oil- Enhances the crispy skin and keeps the juices intact.
- Brown sugar- A touch of brown sugar caramelizes the exterior and gives the skin an even crispier texture. For a low carb option, use a brown sugar substitute.
- Smoked paprika- Adds a lovely smoky flavor.
- Salt and pepper- To taste.
- Baking powder– The secret ingredient to guarantee crispy chicken wings (just like in keto chicken wings!).
How to make chicken wings in the air fryer
Preheat the air fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 200C/400F and lightly grease the air fryer basket.
Season the chicken wings: Toss the wings with olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika.
Air fry the wings: Add a single layer of the chicken wings to the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Garnish and serve: Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and serve with dipping sauces.
Can I bake these in a traditional oven?
If you don’t want to air fry the chicken wings, you can bake them in the oven.
Increase the cooking time to 45 minutes and flip halfway through. The oven temperature remains the same as the air fryer (at 200C/400F).
Tips to make the best recipe
- Make sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket so the hot air can cook the skin to ultimate crispiness.
- Use room temperature chicken wings, as it will help the wings cook evenly.
- Ensure you pat dry the chicken before adding the seasonings or else you risk the wings not cooking properly.
- For extra crispy wings, add a dash of baking powder.
What to serve with chicken wings?
Dipping sauces and dressings are always a fantastic pairing with wings. Some ideas include ranch dressing, ketchup, and bbq sauce.
- To Store: Leftover wings can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To Freeze: Cool the chicken wings to room temperature and then place them in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for 6 months.
- Reheating: Microwave the wings for 20-30 seconds or reheat in a preheated air fryer for two minutes.
More air fryer appetizer recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
When prepared as instructed, chicken wings should take no longer than ten minutes to cook.
For extra crispy wings, add 1 tablespoon of baking powder to the mixture. This is another trick to help the wings become crispier.
Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of wings. They should be 165F/90C.
Lightly grease an air fryer basket, Preheat the air fryer to 190C/375F.
Pat dry the chicken wings ensuring there is no moisture.
Toss the wings in a bowl with olive oil. Add the remaining seasonings and mix well.
Add the wings to the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 9-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Remove the wings from the air fryer and serve immediately.
TO FREEZE: Cool the chicken wings to room temperature and then place them in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for 6 months.
TO REHEAT: Microwave the wings for 20-30 seconds or reheat in a preheated air fryer for two minutes.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 199kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 15g | Sodium: 649mg | Potassium: 158mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 383IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg