Spring is a fascinating time in the Roman countryside! Here, just a few kilometers north of the capital, lies an appealingly undiscovered niche of Italy, where the sun warms the rolling hills, the sea of poppies splash their reds against the green fields, the olive trees begin to burst into life and the light is a vibrant yellow.
I fell in love with this humble but stunning area back in 2016 when I visited the region for my first workshop. It is the perfect place to reach deep within oneself and find the inspiration that will summon your deepest creativity. That is why I am absolutely thrilled to share another beautiful and power-packed food photography, lifestyle and styling experience here in Torri, Sabina this Spring. And I hope you, like several before you, will share this exceptioanlly unique experience with me.
Sabina’s landscape is a tapestry of olive groves, vineyards and ancient hilltop villages, rich in medieval architecture and tradition. This is absolutely the ideal setting for a sensational Food Photography and Styling retreat again in 2018.
A picture is worth a thousand words!
I am sharing a few images from last year’s workshop to show you the true beauty and essence of our 2-day retreat. Our villa, perched on a hilltop, boasts of panoramic views of grandeur of the village Torri, beautiful vineyards and olive groves. From dawn to dusk light moves around, painting the entire surrounding in different colors. Shadows and reflections, dark and light, the golden hour or the blue hour of this view just never gets boring. The entire recap for last year’s workshop is coming up in a few weeks time – I promise!
Meeta’s workshop in Rome can be summed up into one word – inspiring. The location, her instruction, and our exposure to the local food culture is exactly what I needed to renew my creative energy. I was able to combine the inspiring atmosphere along with new techniques and tips for styling and photography to improve my work.
~ Lori R., Rome Workshop 2017
This food photography and styling retreat is a 2-day experience, where together we will not only discover the surroundings, but our main aim will be to develop your skills in the techniques of photography and styling. We will help you out of your rut and bring out your creativity by working on many exercises and refining the style. This retreat will be a place for you to gain motivation and renew your creative ability. With ideas and discussions from other group members it will boost your knowledge and help you think out of the box.
Together we will cook, eat and drink delicious rustic Italian meals and wines, using exquisite seasonal ingredients, sourced locally and from the villa gardens and fruit trees.
We will take photos by the swimming pool, on the terrace and in the olive groves. We will visit a 2000 year old olive tree and have an an exclusive olive oil tasting experience. We will dine at a wonderful secluded little trattoria perched on top of a hill in Lazio, past poppy fields, where each dish is a symphony of flavors.
The focus for this food, styling and lifestyle retreat is to:
- access your untapped creativity using the olive groves and rolling hills as a backdrop.
- explore all the aspects to easily create beautiful pictures
- focus on photo and styling processes, from basics natural light manipulations to more advanced ones.
- create succulent stories with your photos, create the right atmosphere
- share current food styling and prop trends
- discuss many important topics revolving around photographing food: picking ingredients, cooking/photo time management, post-processing,
- steps towards discovering your unique voice and artistic style
- master the perfect composition
- consider props, how to find them, how to make them and how to budget with them
This tranquil, unique and homey venue will provide us with a fabulous source of inspiration and offer us plenty of room, outdoors and indoors, for our hands-on exercises and photo assignments.
The Hosting Team
Rissa Miller is my biggest support during the organizing and planning of these retreats. With over 20 years professional experience in the restaurant and hospitality industry, and a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu, Paris she spent the last 5 years cooking throughout Italy. I am very thrilled to be teaming up together with Rissa again to share our knowledge and passion with our participant
Johnny Madge is our dynamic Olive Oil Sommelier and tour guide for our olive oil excursion. Internationally acclaimed olive oil sommelier, expert forager, marble sculptor, and extraordinary host, Johnny has been living in Sabina for 35 years and offers infinite knowledge and frequent laughter to all our participants.
Who Should Join!
This photography and lifestyle experience is perfect for you if:
- You are a photographer who wishes to discover all the exciting aspects of capturing beautiful food and lifestyle photos in a unique location
- You are looking to take your food, travel and lifestyle photography skills to the next-level
- You are a blogger, web designer, graphic designer, stylist, magazine editor, creative designer, foodie, writer (all were past participants of my workshops) or similar and you wish to capture beautiful images for your business or blog
- You wish to improve your styling and find your way through the jungle of food styling to create the perfect set-up
- You have a basic knowledge of using the DSLR and camera settings
- anyone who is keen to spend a few wonderful days with like-minded people exploring and enjoying this incredible spectacular city
I will guide you throughout the entire course of this retreat, teaching you to discover and hone all the many aspects it takes to create the perfect image.
Most of all we want this to be a fun-filled 2 days for our participants, with good food, drink and an exchange of experience so that when you go back home you are not only equipped with the know-how to create beautiful images for your blog posts, articles or your own personal masterpiece, but also look back at the 2 days as a memorable event.
The Programme *
Thursday 10th May 2018
- Informal Meet & Greet
Introductions over morning tea, coffee and pastries at the Villa
- Photography Fundamentals
Mastering the camera & learning the basics (shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc.)
- Photography Techniques
Using natural light to create the right atmosphere; building a narrative, using color and texture
- Practical Photography Exercises
Practice makes perfect
- LUNCH by Rissa
A lovely meal featuring some traditional rustic Italian dishes.
- Styling Fundamentals
Composition and placement, finding the right angle, using the perfect props, finding an artistic style
- Styling demo
- Free-style Photography/Styling Exercises
Short exercises bringing the photography and styling aspects together
- 3- Course Dinner by Rissa
Divine rustic Italian meal with wine pairing
Friday 11th May 2018
- Breakfast at the Villa by Rissa
Question and Answers; one on one discussion with instructor
- Enlightening yourself with Lightroom
Workflow, post-processing, watermarking, tagging
- Olive Oil Tour and tasting with Lunch in Farfa
Field trip and on-location photo shoot
- Intensive group work on main photography assignment
Evaluation, discussion & critique on assignment
- Constructive feedback, discussion and critique on exercises
- Finale Aperitifs & Farewell
*The programme may change or have slight variations due to weather or availability
Rome Retreat 2018 Ticket: Euro 660 / person
Included in the price
- Complete two day workshop session, which will cover food and lifestyle photography and styling, practical hands-on exercises and assignment work
- 1 night single room accommodation
- 5-hour olive oil tasting and excursion
- Field trip transportation to and from villa
- All meals & beverages during workshop
Thursday: Snacks, Beverages, Lunch, Dinner
Friday: Breakfast, Olive oil tour, lunch, aperitifs
- Material / equipment for on-site photography and styling sessions
(does not include cameras and other photography equipment like tripods, laptops, cables etc.)
- Flights to Rome
- Airport transfers / Travel to venue
- Travel insurance (or insurance of any kind)
The Destination Rome 2018 Food photography experience is limited to only 10 participants and works on a first-come-first-serve basis.
BOOKING & PAYMENT
To book your space for this unique experience please register and complete the registration process (click on”Book Your Tickets” button above).
After we have received your payment we will send you your exclusive Destination Rome 2018 Food Photography Experience ticket and further and more concrete programme details, a complete guide, photography hand-out and instructions. To secure your spot for this event we request that full payment be made upon registration.
Please Note: The organizers reserve the rights to modify the programme should the need arise. Presentations and main workshop language will be in English (instructor and organisers speak German and Italian).
The workshop is aimed towards participants with a basic understanding of how to use a DSLR camera and settings. We will cover fundamentals like aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance and co.. However, we would like to focus more intensively on concepts and techniques during theory sessions and provide ample room for individual practical exercises. During individual exercise I am here to provide help with modes, settings and any difficulties and challenges in this respect can be discussed.
Due to logistics of the event, we are unable to provide any refunds on cancellations. However, we can accept a replacement for your place. We recommend you have travel insurance in the event of any unforeseen events.
If you have any questions or need more information please drop me an email: meeta[AT]whatsforlunchhoney[DOT]net
Look forward to seeing you in Italy this Spring!
All photographs and written content on What’s For Lunch, Honey? © 2006-2017 Meeta Khurana Wolff unless otherwise indicated. | All rights reserved | Please Ask First